News » Is my child ready to start school?Last updated 4:23 PM on 6 August 2012
Starting school is such a big step. How do I know if my child is ready?
The parent website School A to Z has spoken to a range of teachers about how to make the right decision for your child. Here are some of the key points and questions to ask:
- Children may enrol in Kindergarten at the beginning of the school year if they turn five years of age on or before 31 July in that year.
- All children must be enrolled in school by their sixth birthday.
- Are they physically ready?
- Are they socially and emotionally ready?
- Kids don't need to read or write before they start school.
- Visit your local school and attend orientation days before you decide.
Watch a video – Ready to start school? - that deals with these issues in more detail.